The following topics are all covered during the two-day course:
- Drums and beat programming > Selecting sounds, the quest for the ultimate kick drum, layering for a solid beat, drum production (EQ and compression), quantise, swing and groove.
- The bassline > The relationship between kick drum and bass, types of bassline (rhythm, riff and lead), sound sources, mixing basslines with the beat, side-chaining the bass.
- Synthesis and sound design > Beyond presets (creating your own sounds, subtractive synthesis (making the most of your synth), creating lead sounds and toplines, creative effects (distortion, bit-crushing, phasing, chorus and more).
- Arrangement and mixdown > Different arrangements for different genres, writing for the dancefloor, top tricks (the drop, the breakdown, the build) and the essential guide to mixing (including do's and don'ts).
- Music industry Q&A > Breakout session on the insiders' guide to the music business: promotion, web presence and marketing your tracks, building your profile, tips for submitting demos, how record labels work, legal issues (what you need to know), making money through music (PRS & MCPS), a watertight agreement, other sources of revenue and your questions answered.
- Informal Saturday evening Mix doctor breakout session > Discussion and appraisal of your track or a track you bring (bring a demo or track you love!). Includes beer and snacks.
The Secrets of House Music Production weekend course costs £340 (inc VAT). This includes a copy of The Secrets of House Music Production book plus two Sample Magic sample collections (cost £100+).
The Secrets of House Music Production weekend course runs 9am-6pm (informal breakout session until 8pm Saturday night) over the following weekends:
- 24-25 March 2012
- 16-17 June, 2012
All Sample Magic courses are run at the award-winning Alchemea Music College in Islington, North London (close to Kings Cross). Alchemea has been established for nearly 20 years and during that time has developed a reputation for offering the highest quality of music production courses. Each student uses their own 21.5" networked Intel iMac, Avid M-box and M-Audio Keyboard with all required software pre-installed for the duration of the course.
Classes take place in one of two day-lit, quiet and spacious tuition rooms. Class size is limited to 8 students so you will be guaranteed plenty of individual attention from the tutor.
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is aimed at those who want to take their house tracks to the next level. It acts as a hands-on companion to the Sample Magic book and will appeal to relative newcomers as well as more experienced producers who want to expand their knowledge of house music production and learn new techniques and tricks. Some knowledge of Logic Pro is important.
What to bring
Yourself and a demo to share with the class during our interactive evening sessions (only if you want to!).
I'm interested! I want to come!
Booking for this series of courses will open in April. You can register your interest now by emailing email@example.com indicating which course and dates you are interested in attending. We will email you when booking opens. If you have any questions, head over over here and ask away - we usually get back within the hour.